Thursday 14 December 2017

Dubrovnik, walking the walls.

If you have been reading my previous posts then you will have read that I went to Dubrovnik for a birthday getaway. I have spoke about the small seaside town I stayed in and about Fort Lovrijenac, an old castle looking Fort that resides on top of a hill surrounded by stunning scenery. As you gaze from the top of the fort you get a view of the wall that encircles the whole Old Town in Dubrovnik.



The wall is roughly 1940m long and will take you over an hour to walk the distance depending on how quick you walk and if you do or do not stop to admire the scenery. Myself and Ollie did the walk in just under 2 hours, a long hot and sweaty walk but we LOVED IT!
I can't remember how much we paid but anything Game of Thrones related was a must do on this holiday, it was the main reason we were there! If you are one of the 1% of the population that haven't seen Game of Thrones please stop reading this and just know the rest of the world is very disappointed in you.




The wall, we couldn't get enough of it. Although there were hundreds of stairs to walk up it was definitely worth going up and risking what energy I had left for the rest of the trip, as if there wasn't enough stairs in Dubrovnik. It is so different walking on the wall then seeing it on the TV. You can see what parts of the wall they filmed on and what parts needed CGI to remove walls, extend walls or remove football and basketball courts that are literally on the wall. Not what we expected to see at all! Now every time myself and Ollie watch GoT we are screaming at the TV and at one another to say that we had stood there. It is an amazing feeling to know you had stood were the GoT stars themselves had stood. Is my nerd showing? Just a shame they weren't filming when we were there, I would have definitely asked for some spoilers. I will advise you all on one thing, go in the early hours of the day, do not go on a hot sunny day around lunch, you will do the walk in 3-4 hours as there will be a lot of people basically queueing to reach the end of the wall. You will probably bump into them annoying people that take a selfie every second and will stay put until they have taken the perfect one, we all know someone like that. Also, the inconsiderate people that just suddenly STOP MOVING and when you try to pass they swerve and block you again. Oh and take plenty of water with you, there are kiosks up there but are quite expensive or stop at the bar and treat yourself to a cocktail, when in...Dubrovnik right?







Part of the wall was very exciting for me, Minceta tower. The tower was used as the exterior of the House of the Undying in Game of Thrones, a memorable episode. This was where Daenerys searches for her stolen dragons. I will provide a photo of how excited I was, I do look awful mind but it is whatever really considering where I was in the world!!




If you are one of the 1% I tried to shoo away that haven't seen GoT and are still reading, the city walls can be interesting in spite of being famous for GoT. I don't remember seeing any information boards but pick up a leaflet or for the modern person google it whilst you are there. The wall just oozes history and believe me when I say you can just feel it. It was constructed in the 12th - 17th century and has remained in superb condition, well preserved and intact. During that lengthily time the wall has been strengthened and continually extended. The wall was constructed to defend the city from possible sea attacks and to threaten anyone who dare try. Back in the day the wall would look rather intimidating, a city that determined to protect and defend is something to be feared. Some areas of the wall are closed off but probably all for good reason, some parts did look a bit sketchy!
I don't know too much on the history, just the basics but from what I have read there have been many sieges against Dubrovnik, yet the walls remain intact. Incredible! What a city it must have been back then!


Spend as much time as you want on the wall, take in the scenery and use it as time for reflection. I like to reflect on things as much as possible when I go away, it's then you can really appreciate what you have waiting for you at home. Spend time with your loved ones, enjoy the memories you make on your trip and just live!



Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I really do appreciate it.
Give me a follow, or leave a comment! Would love to hear other peoples stories and experiences in Dubrovnik and anything Game of Thrones!

Tpot x

No comments:

Post a Comment

About me

My name is Sophie aka Teapot. I get called teapot as it goes in 1 ear and out the other. I also drink A LOT of tea. I am 22, Dorset born...