Saturday 9 December 2017

Horizon the bearded dragon

I own a bearded dragon. Her name is Horizon. She is the most lazy reptile I have ever met. She will wake up for food and a pat on the head but nothing else. I think myself and Ollie spoil her. She won't chase her food anymore as we keep hand feeding her. She is a princess.
She has her moments of energy, as soon as you get her out that vivarium she climbs and jumps anywhere she can. She will treat whoever she gets picked up by like a tree and does not care if she gets her claws stuck in your neck or face. It is quite painful!
We took her to the vets a few weeks back, her face went pale white and we had no clue what was wrong with her. We feared the worst. The vets kept her in a vivarium whilst we waited to be seen and during that time they ran a few blood tests without our consent. What we thought was a £25 check up turned into a £63 visit. Of course we would have agreed to a blood test but it would have been nice to have been asked or told that this was what they were doing. Turns out she was only shedding! 
Horizon used to have a sister Jupiter but sadly she passed away due to what we believe was a disease from the breeders. 
It's such a shame getting to know and love an animal that you believe is healthy and not know that in a few months they would leave you in the most unpleasant way.
She will be forever missed. I know she was only a lizard but pets really do take hold of your heart!
I really want to get another beardy, Horizon must be getting lonely. My only fear is that if I got one Horizon would think it was food!! Bless.

Reptiles are beautiful creatures and are not expensive to keep. They do require a lot of attention (checking temperatures, feeding, water, checking UV, misting etc) and they don't do much but they are amazing pets to have.

The picture below is my favourite. Snug as a bug! Just after splashing around in the bath!





1 comment:

About me

My name is Sophie aka Teapot. I get called teapot as it goes in 1 ear and out the other. I also drink A LOT of tea. I am 22, Dorset born...